Careers & Opportunities


Prepare to teach English language learners both in positions that do not require state certification, including jobs overseas or in business settings, community agencies, college and university English language institutes, and parochial or other independent elementary and secondary schools.

  • Teach college- and adult-level ESL at community colleges, immigrant support services and universities in the U.S.
  • Teach English abroad at the secondary or college level.
  • If you are a certified public school teacher already, enhance your position as an ESL specialist in the public school system.
  • International students can return to their countries of origin and teach English as a foreign language at various levels, from elementary school to college.

Field Experience  

As part of your academic program, you will gain firsthand knowledge in classrooms through immersive field placements.

School & Community Partnerships 

As part of its mission to give back to the surrounding community and provide substantive fieldwork experiences for its students, the College of Education has formed partnerships with more than 25 institutions and organizations.

Career Services

The College of Education offers a range of career development services to its students. You can also visit the university Career Center for support during your job or internship search. Drop in for a short visit or schedule a 30-minute coaching session to discuss components of your professional profile, including your résumé and LinkedIn presence.

You’ll also have access to


Career opportunities and mid-career salaries for the Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages MSEd may include the following examples.


Median Salary*

Adult Basic & Secondary Education & Literacy Teachers & Instructors


Elementary School Teachers


English Language & Literature Teachers, Postsecondary


Interpreters & Translators


Middle School Teachers


Secondary School Teachers


* Data obtained from the Occupational Information Network (O*NET) under sponsorship of the U.S. Department of Labor/Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA).